Monday, April 26, 2010

Good Friends

Lately I have realized just how very blessed I am and how very blessed I was growing up. I hear a lot from kids (mostly ages of middle school and high school) about how friends are saying mean stuff about them or how they don't have any friends and family that really understand their christian belief and why it is important to them to live their lives the way the Bible says. I truely feel for them and I hurt that they have to fight so hard to stand up for what is right and don't have the luxery of coming home at the end of the day and having a very supportive dad and mom.

I had tough times as a kid growing up I mean no one doesn't but I loved growing up. My parents were so supportive and were always encouraging us to do the right thing and making sure that we were being respectful and nice. We weren't allowed to have "cliques" because that meant someone couldn't be part of it and that would hurt someones feelings. They loved getting to know our friends and we did have a very core group that we did most everything with. I still love those people. My friends didn't encourage drinking, smoking, lying to our parents, sneaking out, or dressing so that we didn't leave anything to the imagination. If anything we were pretty hard on eachother to dress modestly (sometimes we got a little annoyed with the boys for being so concerned) and I don't think any of us ever said mean things about eachother. It just wasn't done! So I want to thank those friends (ya'll know who you are) and thank my new friends for being there for me. I am praying every day for my kids to have friends as great as you guys and that God would be blessing all your kids too with the same thing.

I am also praying for each kid out there who is struggling with making friends or who believes they are friends with someone who is really just out to hurt others to make themselves feel better. The only friend you need is Jesus but he supplies us with many friends that we want. As far as the kids that are braving being the only believer in their family I just want to hug them so badly. I wish that it was that every parent and family member believed but that just isn't the case but God is gonna use you so much in your families lives even if you can't see it. Make sure you continue to love them and show them respect because God made you part of that family for a reason. I know that He is preparing you for a great work. One day you will look back and go "wow I didn't see why I had to go through that then but if I hadn't I certainly wouldn't be prepared for this!"  Just keep being who God wants you to be.

2 comments:

Chris Deering said...

You know, we were weird. My parents and yours both pointed it out to me at some point. But weird in a good way. Weird in the different-for-a-reason sort of way. I loved (and still do) you guys so much. You five girls and your parents had such a meaningful impact on my life and helped shape me. We had our ups and downs and had some people flow in and out of our circle at times, but we really were like family. It’s disheartening to have seen us drift away over the last decade, but I suppose time and distance has a way of doing that. That’s in part what my Chazown (shameless self promotion, sorry) is about. Reestablishing old connections and growing new ones for our children. We’ll just have to see what God has in store.
Oh, and by the way, the badgering you all about your dress and appearance was as much for our well being as yours. Teenaged boys, regardless of how well behaved, have a very hard time keeping their thoughts in check.

best friend said...

the true best friend is ourself, coz in every man there’s bad n good side live together in one body and understand each other. They never be separated n won’t leave each other. Nice blog haley, I added u in my link, would u add me too. Thanx.