Friday, May 7, 2010

Something to Remember

So I have been reading a lot lately and trying to branch out from my normal christian romance and mystery books to some of the non fictional christian books on our bookshelf. Right now I picked "Willing to Believe (the controversy over FreeWill" by R.C. Sprout. Joe loves these types of books so I figured I could read them too and then we discuss them : ) So anyway the reason for mentioning this is  a ran across a very good thing to remember...

Robert godrey, president of Westminster theological Seminary in Escondido, California, recently suggested that I write a book about "the myth of influence." I was startled by the suggestonn because I did not know what he meant. he explained that this phrase refers to the modern evangelical penchant to "build bridges" to secular thought or to groups within the larger church that espouse defective theologies.
The mythical element is the naive assuumption that one can build bridges that move in one direction only. Bridges are usually built to allow traffic to move in two directions. What often happens when we relate to other is that we become the influensees rather than the influencers. In an effort to win people to Christ and be "winsome," we may easily slip into the trap of emptying the gospel of its content, accommodating our hearers, and removing the offense inherent in the gospel. To be sure, our own insensitive behavior can add an offense to the gospel that is not properly part of it. We should labor hard to avoid such behavior. but to strip the gospel of those elements that unblievers find repugnant is not an option

I think that this happens a lot I have seen people try to reach others for Christ but end up not being an example of what God wants us to be like because they end up doing exactly what the non believer is doing and I have seen people try to reach others through force or lack of tact and kindness. Jesus was always kind and loving and very humble but he also NEVER failed to do what God expected and never watered down anything just so others might be a little more open to it and so people wouldn't think he was a freak. Since we are supposed to strive to be like him I think we need to work harder to make sure the line is clear and stays clear when we are trying to win other for Christ. So next time you decide you are gonna show your friends that christians can have fun too so you go to a party or hang out with your friends make sure you are still showing God and not just joining in the way others are talking or laughing at someone elses expense because everyone else thinks it is funny. You will reach a lot more people if you don't laugh but also don't point out that they are all horrible people for being so rude and unkind.

Okay well just my thought of the day : )
.

1 comment:

Chris Deering said...

This is good Haley. I know a lot of people throw up Paul's "all things to all people" line when it comes to relating to the nonbelivers. While it is possible to be a tattooed biker, an art-smart aristocrat, or a long-haired emo listener, you can't fall into the trap of degrading others and losing control of your actions.
I know I’ve had a problem with trying too hard to be all things some times, especially with the guys I work with. I try to be the cool boss/coworker and end up forgetting who I am. I catch myself halfway into something and then it’s hard to see the line I crossed way back when. The line is a dot to me.