Monday, May 24, 2010

How to stop the complaning child

This morning and really this whole weekend Caden has been a whiner. I mean not just a little I mean a BIG one. I HATE it when he whines I really really do so this never goes unpunished. Usually taking away the toy that is causing him to complain or a trip to put his nose in the corner works but sometimes it just stops it for a while which means he has to have a spanking (yes that is right I spank don't go getting all bent out of shape I would never abuse my child). He isn't usually like this, he really is usually a big sport and does everything I ask without much question (except the normal WHY? because he loves this word and wants to know everything now) but he has been sick and when he is sick he whines. I understand I do that too.

Today we needed to go shopping because frankly I needed flowers and mulch for my front garden because it was pathetic and we have company coming in a few weeks. Caden usually LOVES shopping and I always bring snacks. Today he didn't want to go though and he was pretty much pouting the whole way there much to my displeasure. So we go to Target where he got in trouble for complaining and touching things that are not his. He really wasn't so bad once in the cart he just sulked cause he doesn't like to have to sit there. I was sure this was going to be a long shopping trip.

Then we went to Home Depot! The garden section and like magic my son turned into a wonderful child that you never would believe was ready to walk home rather than continue to shop just mere moments before. So we got what we needed (well except top soil for mom she didn't see what she needed) then went home where I got the kids in swim suits and we headed outside to work. Caden is an excellent gardener, just ask him! He pulled weeds with me and helped me dig the holes for the flowers and helped spread the mulch all over  then he insisted he water the plants by himself. Now in the midst of all of this Caden let me in on the secret to not having a whining child!!! He told me while we were busy pulling weeds that "Mommy I am not whining anymore because I am busy pulling weeds. I can't whine and pull weeds because I am busy!" I was like alrighty then! From now on when we have a whine problem we will be heading to the garden so he can pull some weeds!!!

He has been great ever since we went swimming and right now he is cleaning up all his toys and books before we head to Grandmas house for family night dinner. He is also teaching Casey how to make her bed "the proper way" and asked if he could dust for me.

Moral of the story is have a garden full of weeds so your children can be busy ; )

2 comments:

Chris Deering said...

"A man can do no better than to eat, drink, and find satisfaction in his work. This too I see is from the Lord." -Solomon

It's good to know our child is not alone in his young boyiness. We too have a no whining rule. I let Holly slide sometimes though because she's babyfilled.

Jhenna said...

Awe, Bless his heart! Austin loves to help me garden. It makes him happy. Anything outside really is a sure fire way to make him happy!