Thursday, March 10, 2011

First Scary Moment

Caden probably took 5 years off my life yesterday afternoon. I am sure he will do this many more times in his life so this was just warming me up for what is to come.

Joe had left for UPS and the kids were ready for TeamKid but we had time to kill before we needed to head out so they were playing in Caden's room. He has a basketball hoop that can go over his door but he likes it on his bed because then it can be moved and Casey can play with it too so that is what they were playing with. They were using a soft small ball and having a grand time. I decide since I have the kitchen clean I will visit with my mom. W are in her living room (and I just get over there too which means my kids have a keen since of radar) when we hear Caden scream. Not just a little scream like he does sometimes when he falls and bumps his knee or head but this gut wrenching scream/cry that causes me to break into a run. I find him on the floor of his room crying beside Casey's tea table chairs (which are not allowed to be in his room because they have already been in trouble for climbing on them) and one of the chairs is knocked over. I pick Caden up who is still doing his scream/crying and he is holding his arm. My mom of course is right behind me so I tell her she has to check his arm because I don't want to have to move Caden or have him look at the arm if it was broken. Thankfully it was just a bruise with a bump so we iced it but he kept complaining of it hurting so I kept an eye on it and he starting using it and eventually he was playing blocks and wanting to go to church and the bump went down. This morning the doctor said it is just a bad bruise and he will be sore but just fine. I asked if Caden learned anything and Caden said "yea we don't use chairs to play basketball!" Casey on the other hand said "We don't climb on chairs or we could break ourselves!!" The doctor found this funny and told me good luck.

I knew these things were going to happen I just was hoping my first scare was going to be be a little later on. I was 6 when I broke my arm the first time. I don't want my kids to be over achievers. They could be more like their father too though who did really crazy things but never got really hurt. Yea I wouldn't mind that at all.

No comments: