Monday, September 13, 2010

MadGab

This week we are on the Letter D in our Letter of the Week. So I decided to show Caden that he could make some words with the letters we have learned do far like dad, cab, and bad. Well he thought that was pretty cool once he realized that the sounds really did something. So then because he pretty much knows all the letter sounds we moved on to more words like CAT, BAT, MOM all those fun things. I discovered teaching a 4 year old to read is like watching him play MadGab. It is hilarious he says the sounds separate. Then says them together. Then says them faster. Then thinks about it maybe says it a little slower again then tries it faster again till it clicked. It was hilarious and very cute. I was very proud of him for trying so hard and he was proud of himself too.

We are learning about David and Goliath for our Bible story and Casey is learning what a dozen is and working on her counting.  Our composer is Debussy and our animals are dolphins and doves (we pretty much stick with water animals and birds if we can help it because Caden just loves them). Our big field trip is DISNEY!!! I know I really couldn't have planned that better if I had meant to. The trip has absolutely nothing to do with our schooling and everything to do with Casey's birthday but it just so happens that it falls perfectly in with our Letter D week and we are Driving there hehehe maybe we should get Donuts too!

The kids are super excited. Casey has been talking about turning 3 for weeks now and Caden can't wait to go down Splash Mountain for the first time ever! He is now 41 inches tall without shoes so he is officially tall enough : ) Casey is really not very happy she isn't tall enough yet but she IS excited she is going to go shopping in the Winnie the Pooh shop with Grandma while Grandpa, Daddy and I go with Caden on his first big kid ride. Right now Caden says he is riding with Grandpa on it but I will be curious to see who actually rides with him. If he is at all scared of the ride he will end up asking to ride with me that is just usually how he does. There is a chance I might be even more excited about him going on his first big kid ride than he is but I am trying not to show it just in case he gets scared and doesn't want to do it at the last minute or something.

Caden did surprise me this weekend by going down a 20 foot water slide all by himself with no prompting from me or Joe at all. My dad's work had a company picnic and so my dad asked us to come too. It was really fun and Caden just climbed right up that big old blowup slide and went down with no problem at all and went down it like 50 times. I was pretty impressed since usually he needs to be talked into those types of things. He tends to be on the cautious side but lately not so much LOL My little man is growing up :) Casey wouldn't even consider going down it though. She said the water was cold and it was too high.

1 comment:

Jhenna said...

How perfectly that, that all worked out nicely for the letter of the week! I am glad Caden and Casey are having such a great time learning and that your having a great time teaching! Your such a wonderful teacher Haley! Keep up the great work!